This weekend has been rather enlightening for me. Friday I pretty much stuck to the diet, I ate breakfast then lunch and then dinner. I didn't get a traditional workout in so I didnt have any snacks during the day. Friday night I went to a country bar with a group of my girl friends,but I was determined not to cheat knowing that I was not going to keep the diet on Saturday so I simply drank diet coke. I had a wonderful night filled with dancing and around 3am I was starving as were my friends so we went to the Night Kitchen downtown. Most of the menu was fried but they did have organic yogurt and granola. Realizing I had not had my snack that day I opted for yogurt minus the granola. The restaurant didnt have a fruit cup but after a very strange look and a long explanation of why my order was so strange the waiter took an orange and a grapefruit from the bar a sectioned it for me. I had a wonderful snack of organic yogurt with a little honey and grapefruit and orange wedges. I!
t felt good to eat that, especially after seeing my friends eat greasy grilled cheeses and over sized omelets.
Saturday I knew I wasn't going to keep to the diet, I went down to Portland with a friend to celebrate her birthday. I started out right and had my omelet for breakfast, but I put a little spin on it adding some avocado, asparagus,salmon,and a tiny bit of crumbled blue cheese. I had a skinny caramel machiatto on the drive down and when we got there we walked around. We soon found a whole foods so for lunch I made my own salad with a little tuna and a small cup of vegan split pea soup to warm me up. For dinner we went to a fancy restaurant and split tapas. Most of our choices were good and involved fresh fish and veggies. I did have a drink and a piece of bread, I also enjoyed an empanada and a bite of chocolate cake (Splurge!) As delicious as our food was I had the worst stomach ache afterwords. We continued our night by dancing and I enjoyed one more drink.
Sunday morning we woke up and I had 2 eggs and 2 strips of bacon and some fresh fruit for breakfast, I broke the diet again by having a small slice of bread and a mimosa. Once again my stomach was in knots. After walking around for a bit I realized I really have not eaten mass amounts of processed carbs in about 6 months. I also dont eat fried food so the empanadas the night before may be the culprit for my ill feels. I noticed that changing diets and "splurging" really made me feel 10 times worse than the food tasted good. I felt bloated and lethargic most of the day, I found myself dehydrated and craving healthy food. Being that breakfast was more like brunch I didnt eat again until 7:30, I wanted to use up what was left in the house so we had chicken breast over chard, mushroom,onion, and garlic with a side of baked asparagus and cucumbers with olive tapanad. I have to say I'm ready to get back on track and although I feel the diet has made me a bit moody and irritable, my!
body has felt good. I look forward to my workout with JD in the morning and a good nights rest tonight!
Katie
Great insight Kate. I think all in all you did a wonderful job and were mindful of your bodies need. Hang in there. Karla
ReplyDelete